Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Did I Say Real Butter?

Why yes I did! My friend and I spent a few hours turning real butter into food storage butter! I promise its really easy, so easy its silly not to have some real butta in your store house!
Buy any butter on sale. Cheaper butter requires more shaking but the results are the same.
Heat jars in 250 degree oven for 20 minutes without seals or lids. One pound of butter will fill one pint jar with a little leftover. 11 lbs = 12 jars.

While jars are heating, start on your butter.
Melt all butter until it comes to a slow boil. Use a spatula to stir bottom so the butter will not burn. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
When jars and butter are done, you will then pour the butter into the jars. Leave 3/4 of head space in the jar so you have room to shake the butter.

Once butter is in the jars, carefully wipe off the top of the jars. Get a hot lid from your simmering water and place on top of the jar. Then seal tightly with the ring. Wait for your butter jar to "ping". When the jars are still warm being shaking them. Do this every so often until the jars have cooled off.
It's time to place the jars in the fridge.

You will then set your timer for 5 minutes. Once the timer goes off you will shake each jar. You will continue to do this until the butter becomes a solid. This process takes about 30 minutes.


Look how pretty it looks! The wonderful thing about the butter. . . it will not melt! It will last for up to 5 years, maybe longer we just don't know yet!

14 comments:

Mamawags said...

your homemaking skills are awesome. How much would you charge to do some butter for me??

Claudia said...

Allie that is a project we will have to do when you come up again. I am amazed at your homemaking skills. You are awesome!!!!!

Mamawags said...

of course I'm serious!! Have you ever known me to joke around??

Seriously, I'm serious!

Williams Family Dirt said...

This is awesome!!! I just heard of this on another friend's blog. I love how you included pictures and step by step directions...-so easy, and it will go nicely with fresh whole wheat bread that you made from scratch...you never know when you will want "real" butter on your boring food storage!

I will share this blog post with all my R/C friends!

kristi said...

Does the butter have to stay in the frig? (Maybe you stated so, maybe not.) Great idea, "home"girl! I totally get your screen name now ;)

homegirl said...

Judy, you got a deal.

Kristi, after opening you don't have to put it into the frig. It shouldn't melt either.

Heather said...

I still want your bread recipe for the jars!!!!! Need that please. Thanks for all the great recipes. I used your cream cheese ball for our young women modesty fashion show. It was a hit.

The Everyday Housewife said...

Thanks so much for the awesome idea!!

Mamawags said...

sweet!!

Let me know what you'll charge me. I have jars and I can buy the butter.

:)

becky said...

You never cease to amaze me girl!!

tiki95 said...

Wow you are amazing. I am so glad we are friends. Thanks for the lessons on becoming a homemaker.I'm not sure I could do it without you. Hey let's start a butter business, you know it is my middle name :) What are we doing next time (week after spring break) Let me know so I can go shopping.

Karrie said...

My MIL just did this a couple of weeks ago- I was amazed. Good little tutorial-

karen said...

Thanks for the lesson. I just finished making some freezer jam that was so easy and I thought it would be much harder. Maybe I should make the butter now to go along with all the jam I have. :0)

JOY said...

Yeah - And it wasn't even a Friday when you did your butter! Can I use this post on my blog as a "guest post" for one of my food storage fridays? I love it! Thanks Allie!